Basketball Australia is calling for Expressions of Interest for the position of Head Coach of the Australian Under 19 Women (“The Gems”)
The term of appointment will be from December 15, 2019 to September 15, 2021 pending qualification through the 2020 FIBA Oceania U18 Championships (dates to be confirmed).
The FIBA Under 19 World Cup for Women will be held in 2021 at a time and venue to be confirmed.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Head Coach of the Australian U19 Women’s Team will be responsible for:
- Leadership in technical preparation and planning for the team
- Talent identification and selection of the athletes to be included in squads and teams throughout the campaign
- Attend Australian Under 20 Championships and other designated key selection/talent identification activities
- Leadership and conduct of preparation camps and all team related events
- Liaison with the National team coaches & BA Centre of Excellence coaches on style of play and international trends
- Leadership and direction of assistant coaches and support staff
- Lead and conduct high level scouting and understanding of the international game
- Representing the team with media as required
Desired Experience and skill set –
- Demonstrated experience coaching elite youth women’s basketball
- Experience in coaching at the WNBL/NBL or NBL1/QBL/WA SBL/Waratah/BSA Premer League etc level
- Head coaching experience at Australian Junior Championships
- Actively coaching in the BA NPP or State Performance Programs
- High level technical skills
- Demonstrated experience in leading coaching and support staff at an elite level
- Understanding of the Basketball Australia style of play philosophy
This Australian Under 19 Women’s Head Coach receives an honorarium payment in each year of the campaign. Basketball Australia will pay all reasonable expenses incurred when the Head Coach is involved with approved team activities. This includes documented phone calls, travel and accommodation expenses.
If the Head Coach is injured when involved in national team activities, such injury will be covered under BA’s sports injury insurance policy.
The successful candidate will be required to have a current Working with Children clearance or equivalent and hold a minimum Basketball Australia Association Coach level accreditation.
Expressions of Interest, including a cover letter and resume of no more than 3 pages, should be submitted via e-mail by close of business Wednesday, November 20 to Basketball Australia Director of HighPerformance Coach Development Peter Lonergan at email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed by a panel and a short list created. Short listed applicants will be contacted about further requirements in the process, which may include provision of additional information and interview.